M.Phil. is a two years degree program and according to PMDC criteria it is “Level II b” degree. (See PMDC Distribution of degrees). M.Phil. is mostly done in basic sciences such as
There are Pros and Cons of M.Phil. degree, so one should keep in mind before opting M.Phil.
- Two years Program with research work
- First Years comprises of theory or classes and the second year is mostly dedicated to research work.
- Most of the departments have regular morning shifts only. No extra calls are there except pathology where you have to do evening or night in hospital labs (but once in a month or so)
- “Level II b” Degree according to PMDC Criteria
- M.Phil. holders usually hold a teaching cadre. You can become an assistant Professor after one or two years of experience after passing M.Phil.
- In Most cases, FCPS part 1 is also exempted after 2 years of passing M.Phil. and one-year training is also exempted. (In case of Pathology)
- You can start Ph.D. and jump into “Level III”
- As this is a “Level II b” degree so you cannot come forward as associate professor or professor (According to PMDC revised criteria, i.e. “M.Phil. holders can become professor up to 31st December 2020”), but if you complete your Ph.D. then you can excel further.
- Some universities have a very low passing rate, so it may take some time to clear your degree especially the thesis work.
Now coming to the admissions in M.Phil. programs in various institutes of Pakistan
1- University of Health Sciences Lahore takes entry test in Nov-Dec. Once the result is announced, every institute advertises its program.
In following institutes UHS entry test is compulsory
- Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore
- Children Hospital, Institute of Child Health, Lahore (Not announced in 2018)
- Faisalabad Medical University (Not announced in 2018)
- Federal Sheikh Zayed PGMI Lahore
- Institute of Public Health, Lahore
- Nishtar Medical University Multan
- Post Graduate Medical Institute Lahore.
- Rawalpindi Medical University, Rawalpindi (Not announced in 2018)
- University of Health Sciences Lahore
3- Following institutes also offer M.Phil. degrees in certain subjects.
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
- National University of Medical Sciences Rawalpindi (NUMS)
- National University of Sciences and Technology Rawalpindi (NUST) / Army Medical College
- University Medical and Dental College Faisalabad
- University of Lahore, Lahore
- Bahria University Medical and Dental College Karachi
- Baqai Medical University Karachi
- Chandka Medical College Larkana
- Dow Medical College (Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Hamdard University
- Isra University
- Jinnah Post Graduate Medical College (BMSI) Karachi (Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Peoples University of Medical & Health Science for Women Nawabshah, Shaheed Benazirabad
- Ziauddin University Karachi
- Khyber Medical University (Institute of Basic Medical Sciences)
- Peshawar Medical & Dental College (Ripah International University)
- Sardar Begum Dental College Peshawar (Gandhara University)
- Federal Government Polyclinic, PGMI Islamabad
- Islamic International Medical College ( Ripah International University)
- Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Islamabad
- Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University Islamabad
No M.Phil. Institutes in Balochistan and Azad Kashmir