Different softwares are being used for referencing now a days. some of them are
- Google Scholar
- RefWorks etc.
We will discuss one by one.
- It is very simple to use and makes referencing very easy.
- Go to https://scholar.google.com.pk/
- Enter the research title for example “role of her2 in breast cancer” and press enter
- Find your required article/research and press the citation icon; “ the screen will show up; copy the required referencing style e.g. Vancouver and paste it in your reference list. Done !!
- Important: Vancouver style usually in CPSP and other universities, Harvard style is used in UHS Lahore. Different Journals have their own requirements.
- Copy your required style
If you are using google chrome or Mozilla browser; you can use Google Scholar chrome extension; it will help you in copying references right from the research website (You don’t need to go to google scholar website)
- Type in Google Scholar chrome extension in the search bar; search results will show up.
- Click on the search result and next screen will show up; there you will click install and add to chrome (For chrome browser and Add to Firefox for Mozilla/Firefox browser and yes you are done)
- Important: Directly access google chrome extension, Directly access Mozilla extension. Similarly, you can do it for Microsoft edge browser.
- Now go to any website on which you have your article and open the article; press the google scholar button and your reference styles will show up after pressing the citation icon.
- Hope it clear all; if you need any help; feel free to contact.
Pros of Google Scholar:
- It is very simple to use.
- It doesn’t need any special system requirement nor a big software
- You can easily use this for synopsis and research papers.
- While writing a dissertation/thesis it may not be helpful because the number of references is more and you will face difficulty while maintaining the reference list.
- Sometimes you need to change the reference style e.g from Vancouver to Harvard style for some research paper or any other purpose; google scholar will not be helpful in this. You will change the individual reference in text and reference list and it will take much time and errors might happen.
- Different softwares are used for effective referencing.
- These softwares are helpful in maintaining a large number of references.
- You can change referencing styles anytime with a click
- We will update about softwares one by one.